Day 5

April 15



My day off starts with rain lashing at the cottage windows, but steadily brightens up. It turns into a very sunny day, with strong NW wind. 





I cycle out to the East Lighthouse, where there used to be the first radar in the British Isles, set up by Marconi (as assigned by Lloyd’s, who wanted to know whether the ships they had insured were safely back). Also here is the cave that Robert the Bruce stayed in and met a spider. The story is apparently quite famous. Maybe someone reading this blog knows it and can send it to me?











I cycle back to the harbour and stock up at the Rathlin coop, where I meet Una. She is volunteering at the shop today. Next, I go to the Harbourside Café run by Sally. Una’s husband Stewart is working at the café today and we have a chat. Great to find working wifi here, as well as lovely coffee, crepes and sandwiches. The grilled vegetable & goat’s cheese sandwich is to be especially recommended!
Next on my trip around the island is Rue Lighthouse. I get off the road and lock up my bicycle and take to the track towards Doon Bay, where a group of eiders is swimming (mostly males, but some paired up with females already). 



The track runs along the bay towards the lighthouse and the Smugglers House, which is in ruins now. A seal is drifting around near the lighthouse, and some Irish hares run off when they see me approaching. We are very close to the mainland here, Fairhead is to be seen clearly. Further to the east is the outline of Mull of Kintyre (Scotland).



Getting back to the harbour against the wind is quite a struggle. I pop in quickly at McCuaig’s Bar to get some beers to take with me and enjoy at the cottage with Wendy and Matt.
On the way back I see a carpet of beautiful blue flowers on a bank along the road. I do not know for sure what they are, most probably from the Boraginaceae family. 



Could it be Purple Gromwell (Buglossoides purpurocaerulea L.)?



For the Dutch readers, I include a list of the names of the birds in English and Dutch below. All are birds I have seen this week!

Birds on Rathlin

Kittiwake
Fulmar
Guillemot
Razorbill
Puffin
Raven
Cormorant
Shag
Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Oystercatcher
Wren
Rock Pipit
Peregrine
Twite
Gannet
Skylark
Wheatear
Pied Wagtail
Dunnock
Blackbird
Robin
Hooded Crow
Goldfinch
Songthrush
Sedge Warbler
Little Grebe
Tufted Duck
Mallard

Vogels op Rathlin

Drieteenmeeuw
Noordse Stormvogel
Zeekoet
Alk
Papegaaiduiker
Raaf
Aalscholver
Kuifaalscholver
Mantelmeeuw
Zilvermeeuw
Scholekster
Winterkoning
Oeverpieper
Slechtvalk
Frater
Jan-van-Gent
Veldleeuwerik
Tapuit
Rouwkwikstaart
Heggemus
Merel
Roodborst
Bonte Kraai
Putter
Zanglijster
Fitis
Dodaars
Kuifeend
Wilde Eend
Eider Duck
Shelduck
Greylag Goose
Buzzard
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Manx Shearwater























Eidereend
Brandgans
Grauwe Gans
Buizerd
Spreeuw
Huismus
Vink

Reacties

Populaire posts